Monday, September 01, 2008

Now what?

The dog that I assume killed Prajna was back in my yard this morning.

I had the big carrier ready, but I couldn't coax her into it. She would go part way in, then change her mind and back out. Maybe she suspected I was trying to trap her, or maybe she was still skittish from having been trapped under the deck.

I didn't want to let her get away, though. There didn't seem to be much danger of that, since she was following me all around the yard and driveway.

I improvised. I petted her for awhile, then wrapped a chain around her neck to make a collar and leash. It was a ridiculously big and heavy chain, but it was all I had at hand. Then I tied her out to the clothesline pole. She was completely calm and docile through the whole experience, and spent the day calmly watching Richard's folks finishing up the fence. She never barked, although she sometimes whimpered for attention. She never lunged or strained at the tie-out.

She's still back there now, although I got a lighter and longer chain for her. I bought her some food and a big rawhide bone, which she destroyed in about five minutes.

I've emailed a pit bull rescue group to see if there's any chance they'll find a foster home for her.



If that doesn't work, I don't know what I'll do. I'd hate to see her put down if she can be kept in a responsible home.

No comments: