Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Smudge



Smudge, as I've written, was with me almost as long as Beasley – about ten years. Beasley had moods and occasional outbursts of temper, especially as he got older, but Smudge was the same all the time. She was okay with Beasley but pretty grumpy with other cats, and other cats learned to keep a safe distance to avoid being swatted.

When I was home, she was always close by. She usually was at the end of the bed when I slept, even if it was just a short afternoon nap.

She, Beasley and Prajna would frequently jump in my lap when I was at the computer.

Now, in the space of less than ninety days, all three are gone.

I don't understand what would make a cat who had been close by for ten years suddenly walk away in the middle of the afternoon and never come back.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Curious, very curoius and I'm really sorry for your losses.
Soartstar

Lark said...

Lark here.

I think it's very possible that she wandered out of the yard, got spooked by something, and went into a hiding place that she can't/hasn't gotten out of yet. If she never left the yard before then this reaction sounds HIGHLY likely. I am hoping this is what happened, and that you find her soon.

mcarp said...

I hope you're right, Lark.

I keep looking for her, and I leave the back door open at night so she cam come in if she wants to.

Lark said...

I really thought Mouse was a goner, but friends kept encouraging me to not lose hope, so I decided to postpone mourning her for a bit. And two weeks later she turned up. I really thought she was gone and was being all fierce and no-denial-allowed about it, but actually all I was doing was feeling really bad when it turned out I didn't have to.

Anonymous said...

Ah geez. You're a better man than I at the whole non-attachment thing. My cats (one of whom is a dead ringer for your smudge) are an excellent practice for in terms of patience, attachment, etc. But, on the rare occasion that Alaska has escaped (mine are all indooors), I completely lost my shit.

Here's hoping Smudge shows back up at your door acting as if nothing happened.