Sunday, August 28, 2011

It's All Tits And Ass From Here On Out

A few months ago, I noticed a young woman with an awkward, sort of stiff gait crossing the street. I remarked to the woman who was with me that she had the stride of a gymnast or swimmer.

My friend's lower lip started to quiver, so I asked her what was wrong. I got about five minutes of weepy argle bargle about the marginalization of women above a certain age, and something about patriarchy, and something and something.

I hadn't commented at all on this young lady's attractiveness or lack thereof. But by merely noticing her long, stiff-kneed walk, I had oppressed and undermined women everywhere.

My mother, as I mentioned in previous posts, was 'way ahead of the curve on this stuff. As early as about 1967, she was lecturing about weak, irresponsible men — which included, presumably, all the ones she was fucking. I was taught that I was, simply by virtue of my gender, both guilty and impossibly, irredeemably weak, and that the best I could hope for was the opportunity to clean house and do dishes for some woman who was intrinsically better than I could ever hope to be.

As a result of that upbringing, I was bending over backwards to avoid objectifying women long before the term 'objectifying' came into currency. From adolescence through my late forties, I wouldn't even compliment a woman on her clothing, because that would mean having some inappropriate awareness of her gender, appearance and, perhaps, her sexuality.

Even so, I seem to be objectifying women by simply taking note that they're ambulatory. So, once again, fuck it — I'm done. It's all tits and ass from here on out, folks.

4 comments:

Minovermary said...

Zzzzzzz... I'm sorry, were you saying something? Oh yeah, "women...blah blah blah...Mother...blah...blah...blah...tits and ass... blah...blah...blah"

Why do people always accuse me of being a man-hater?
Mindovermary

Anonymous said...

I've pretty much had my say on my own blog, but I'll add a bit here.

I have my own preferences about women's looks and they are a bit more wide ranging than MCARP describes herein.

However, I've given up on looking for any physical type, whether ethereal or sturdy.

I'd just like to find a woman I can talk to who won't filter everything I say into blahblahblah and who can respond in some other way than arglebargle.

If she's got a cute ass, that would just be gravy.

blogblah

Nina said...

We women, dare I say it, do the same thing...only we're allowed to comment on a man's body (the lovely hands of Mike Morgan, for example) without it being a statement of an entire gender's worth.

This is where not taking things personally helps out.

We're all just full of shit. Tits and ass yourself away...



apperys

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should make these observations to your male friends? Which is not to say your friend did not take it too personally, but still.


Lark