Thursday, November 10, 2011

I think I'm done with the online dating thing

They have this deal on OKCupid where users rate your photos against the randomly selected photos of other users. This is supposed to give you as a member an idea of how effective your photos are.

Given a choice of my best photos versus the photos of other users, I lost to, among others:
  • a guy wearing a gas mask
  • the Statue of Liberty
  • a guy who put his hand over the camera
  • a morbidly obese guy who cropped his photo so that only his nose, mouth and neck showed
  • an empty hammock
  • a closeup of a thumb with a cartoon face drawn on it
The respondents – all women – were identified by affinity groups. My photos scored fairly well among self-identified introverts. I did badly among self-identified Christians, conservatives, athletes and 'divas'. Remember, they were simply reacting to the photos with no other information about me.

The photo that got the best response was the one that I thought was least effective. It's a somewhat dark wide shot of me leaning against my Volkswagen. That picture did well among self-identified artists, but all the other pictures did badly with artists.

Across the board, only about a third of those who responded thought I was good-looking enough (or that my photos were good-looking enough) that they'd be interested in meeting me.

However, I'm grateful for the opportunity to have honest feedback.

No comments: