Saturday, November 05, 2011

The lonely search continues...

Anonymous wrote the following in a comment to a previous post.

Match.com is for entertainment purposes only. It bears no relationship whatsoever to reality, relationships, sex, dating or real life social interaction. 
Go look at the profiles of men with whom you "compete" for the attention of the women on Match and remember there are dozens or hundreds of males for each woman. Just as all the women are beautiful (in their profiles), all the men are superheroes who love walks on the beach or some such. 
I was on Match for awhile and even met a few women, but there is a REASON why people are there. Often that reason is that no one who meets them in person wants anything to do with the horrible, crazy person behind the profile. Since I was on Match (in 2002-3, sometime in there), my most recent look convinces me it's become a morass. I would switch to Plenty of Fish, OK Cupid or e-Harmony.

What I noticed that seemed different about match.com this go-round, versus five years ago, is that there seem to be far fewer people now, both men and women.

I did look at the other men, and in my age bracket, at least, I ended up feeling pretty good about myself. There was one guy on there who makes a 20 million dollars a year, is proficient in three martial arts, speaks seven languages, advises the Dalai Lama, amateur atom splitter, etc., but the rest of them were pretty much Jed Clampett wannabes.

Based on a couple of recommendations, I tried Plenty of Fish. Far more women there with names like HarleyBabe4Christ and so on.

This is definitely where all the biker chicks and Aunt Bee types hang out.

I received one email within an hour of my joining from a woman who described herself as a 'conservative Christian' who was alarmed by my Buddhist beliefs. She wants to meet me for the 'intellectual challenge.'

What's a lonely Buddhist to do?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Depends on how lonely and how Buddhist you are.

Lark said...

Have you tried OKCupid? It is different from the other systems. I took one look at PlentyOfFish and in my area oh my god that ocean is DEAD. OKC is more promising.

Joey said...

Although you have about 20 years on me, we're in a similar spot in the relationship department. I'm not exactly sure where you live, but I am assuming you are smack in the middle of the Bible Belt and your ability to find a woman will GREATLY be hampered by your lack of Christian beliefs. I live in Nashville, which is the Buckle of the Bible Belt and I get almost no responses at all, mostly based on my atheism. I've tried just not setting a religion to try to get my foot in the door, but it's such a non-starter for most women here that I rarely make it past the first email exchange. I think we are both destined for lonely hermit status. Strangely, that prospect doesn't bother me as much as it used to.