Monday, November 07, 2011

The search continues; OKCupid

Now I'm giving OKCupid a spin. This is an interesting service in that the 'matching' questionnaire is apparently endless. Users can suggest their own questions. I've answered literally more than one thousand questions over the span of three days, and skipped some others.

Many of them are useless, from my point of view. For example, "Have you ever judged a person standing behind you in a grocery store checkout line based on the items in their cart?"

I would guess the origin of that question is someone who recently ended a relationship, and was annoyed by the ex-partner's habit of doing exactly that. But what bearing does that have on my search? I wouldn't rule someone out on an issue like that, and I don't think most other people would, either.

On the other hand, I was posed some questions that made me think about things I had never considered before. For example, "Do you want your partner to be kinkier than you are?"

I can say I had never considered that before, and faced with the question, I realized the answer was 'yes.'

I will spare you details of my personal kinks, but I'll admit I have some. I am at the point in my life where I no longer need fear the approbation of Sunday school teachers, parents, friends, employers, employers' consultants or anyone else, really, and I'm willing to consider my fetishes/kinks more openly than I once did.

So here's OKCupid asking me some rather touchy questions about bondage, master/slave roleplaying, rough sex and similar matters, and I find myself surprised by the answers I'm giving.

There were also a lot of questions about social issues like gay marriage and interracial dating. I was astonished, frankly, by the number of women with whom I was rated incompatible because they're racists or homophobes. Also some who rated monetary wealth above love, compassion and everything else. I guess, living where I live, I should not be surprised by this, but nevertheless, I am.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do they ever ask how you feel about midgets?

Because, if they did, you know...I'd fail.

Anonymous said...

does it matter? sounds like you wouldn't want to be in the club that would have you

mcarp said...

Doesn't seem to be a club that will have me. I think Joey's comment in the previous post is on the money.

Minovermary said...

What did you say your personal kinks are? Oh, you didn't say.
Well... Will you say? I'm dying to know, MCARP. Please, tell me.

I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours.

Mindovermary

mcarp said...

I think I'll keep that information to myself. It doesn't involve ball gags or auto parts or corn cob skewers or anything like that, though.