Thursday, November 10, 2011

A random thought about looks

Several years ago, I had a brief conversation with the woman I have referred to here as Ms. Home Rehab Person about being good-looking. Ms. HRP was a very attractive and sexy blonde. She never had to worry about getting dates or about whether men would like her, because they always did.

It was difficult for her to fathom a life in which a person felt anxiety about meeting new people because his or her looks were always an impediment rather than an asset.

Conversely, I – and, I think, most people – have a difficult time imagining a life in which you can always count on being liked, rely on having people buy you meals and gifts, and never ponder having to be alone.

That was also how my father lived most of his life, until the drinking ruined his looks. He always had trouble relating to me and my issues because he simply couldn't imagine what it was like for me to not be able to rely on my looks to get what I wanted.

Things did not end well between Ms. HRP and me, and I haven't talked to her in about a year and a half. Some people have asked me why I put up with that situation as long as I did.

I think part of it was that whatever else she may or may not have done, Ms. HRP never treated me with contempt or disdain simply because I'm not as good-looking a man as she is a woman.

No comments: