Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The capacity to be happy...

patrizia said...

I think you have the capacity to be happy. I think the single revelation that stands between you and happiness is this: everyone on the planet has an inner life as compelling as your own.

I think once you realize this, you will see those Tommy Hilfiger-clad souls sitting in restaurants as brave & gallant & doing the best they can under circumstances that are far from ideal -- just as you are -- and that will move you and release you from your anger towards them.

'Cause you know, depression is really anger turned inward...


I just want to acknowledge this post right now, because I'll come back to it. I don't want to respond with some glib BS, so I'm still thinking about it.

iTunes: Kaede No Hana, Yamato Ensemble

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

from my perspective, Patrizia is dead right with this addendum: this realization about the compelling inner lives of others must be accompanied by the realization that we are all part of the whole and not apart from the whole. Our childhood experience of individuation persists into our adult lives as a sense of alienation that is not helpful to our lives as it grows and matures into a myth of individualization. We are NOT John Wayne and the celebration of the myth of our "snowflake" unique selves is an obstacle to true happiness rather than a path to happiness. Observing unique fingerprints on our hands seems to blind us to the fact that we all have opposable thumbs, a far more important element of being human than fingerprints AND something that binds us all together with commonality. What Patrizia observes is the reason we call Freud a genius -- his breakthrough notion that all human minds have very understandable structures with much in common. The dopes I hate in their Tommy shirts and SUVs are still thinking about their lives in much the same way I am -- driven by hidden sexual desires, unconsciously berating themselves with guilt as a result and trying somehow to balance the two, for example. I might be better able to articulate my angst and recognize it for what it is as a result of a difference in intelligence and education, but it's still the same old story, a fight for love and glory, as time goes by... uhm...

blogblah!!!