Thursday, August 03, 2006

An old cat

I brought Gimp the Cat in Tuesday. Gimp has been around the neighborhood as long as I've lived here. I call him Gimp because he has a bad leg or hip that causes him to walk with a stiff, awkward gait.

He looks like he's older than dirt, and over the past year he's gotten thinner and thinner. He was stretched out on the porch, barely moving in the heat, and he looked miserable. So I brought him in. I want to say he wandered in by himself sometimes a few years ago, but my memory may be wrong on that.

He ate voraciously when I put food down for him. I think he was abandoned here by someone who moved away, and he's had to forage for food. As he's gotten older, this has gotten harder and harder for him.

Last night I bathed him. He's never been good about grooming, and he had gotten filthy. He's part-Persian and he had matted hair with pieces of twigs and stuff trapoped in it. I've had a bit of experience in bathing cats and it's not really hard if a) you know what to do and b) the cat's too old and feeble to resist.

So he was clean and fed, and he had more energy yesterday than I think I've ever seen him display. And he stuck to me like glue. He would've slept with me, but Smudge growled at him from her position by my knees.

He's so thin it's obvious he's lost muscle mass, and I don't think he'll make it through the summer. But at least he'll spend his last days in a cool and confortable place.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless you.

Anonymous said...

Your kindness to Gimp the Cat touches my heart.

Anonymous said...

What if Gimp is God?

Anonymous said...

Soarstar axes a good question...

Had a cat once named Allie, a beautiful girl, who hopped on my lap one day while I was writing. She stared at me and I back at her and I became convinced at that moment that I was locking eyes with God.

I miss Allie. Hadn't thought of her in years.

There's a special bond between monks and cats. For the cats, it comes naturally and they're unawed by us.

We, on the other hand, have to try to cope with the power of their bright white light, and that takes some doin'.

Anonymous said...

What if God is gimp

blogblah???