Thursday, August 17, 2006

I think you have the capacity to be happy

I said a few days ago I would respond to this comment, and I've delayed it long enough.

The original comment from Patrizia:

I think you have the capacity to be happy. I think the single revelation that stands between you and happiness is this: everyone on the planet has an inner life as compelling as your own.

I think once you realize this, you will see those Tommy Hilfiger-clad souls sitting in restaurants as brave & gallant & doing the best they can under circumstances that are far from ideal -- just as you are -- and that will move you and release you from your anger towards them.

'Cause you know, depression is really anger turned inward...


I drafted a response to this that included quotes from the Buddha, Wen-Tzu and my therapist as well as an embedded photo of George Bush and then realized I had gone on for nine paragraphs and was getting nowhere.

And so I come back to Seung Sahn:

I just don't know.

That ain't much, but that's what it is.










By the way, here's the Bush pic. Make up your own context:





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

W wasn't sent.

He was excreted.