Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A dream

Just woke up, soaked with sweat, from a dream in which a lot of odd random stuff happened, including guys riding around in a red forties-era roadster stolen (according to the handy information packet that seems to come with many of my dreams) from an heir to the Target family fortune. (I have no idea if there really is a Target family fortune. Someone should call the Daytons and the Hudsons and see if they have a car missing.)

At the end of all this random stuff happening are two helicopters flying, not together, but in the same general area. One is performing clearly dangerous aerobatic stunts. I'm watching from the ground, wondering not if, but when the pilot will make a fatal mistake. The pilot of the other helicopter is now hovering nearby, watching the first pilot with alarm. Sure enough, the first pilot suddenly loses control and the helicopter plunges to the ground. And as the people on the ground are screaming and gasping with alarm, someone falls out of the second helicopter and lands on the street about thirty feet away.

His landing, while probably not scientifically correct, is very graphic (but not bloody)... he lands on his back, bounces about a foot back up, then comes down again. He lands again on his back, more or less at his shoulders. His body rolls backward, so that his legs and feet fold over his head, and he is briefly folded almost like a jackknife at the waist. Then his legs straighten out again, and he comes to rest flat on his back, and presumably dead, on the pavement.

My dreams seem to be frequently filled with violence or threats of random or accidental violence. I am never committing the violence in my dreams, nor is it ever directed at me. I have a lot of dreams about plane crashes, and they always occur with me standing on the ground watching –– never as a passenger or a pilot.

Plus all the dreams in which tornadoes drop down out of the sky, and the occasional drowning dream.

My inner psychologist says these dreams are not so much about violence as about me feeling like I have no control over my own destiny and feeling like I'm just tossed about by threatening conditions. If I retired to that cave near the monastery, would I still have nightmares?

Maybe I have calm, peaceful pleasant dreams I don't remember.

Does anyone dream about quiet, blue lakes? Fields of flowers? Bunny rabbits?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll trade you my daydreams for your night dreams...