Sunday, August 06, 2006

Heat

From Blogblah! ...

MCARP says he’s no longer young and I wonder if he, too, finds just going to the grocery and the dry cleaner and sitting outside at the RC is a chore.


Hell, yeah.

So to speak.

Fortunately, I don't have many dry cleaner problems (good lord, dry cleaners are insufferably hot whenever the outside temperature is above 60... I can't imagine what they're like now) since I rearranged my wardrobe to be more washing machine-friendly, but everything else has been basically draining.

The air conditioner in my car doesn't work. A relatively inexpensive part is broken but I've read on the net that a full day of labor is involved in replacing it. I can't afford it and more importantly, I can't be without the car for a day.

But what makes this heat especially insufferable is the fear I have that this is not an anomaly, but a preview of most summers to come. And as the temperature climbs, and as the glaciers and ice packs melt and the aquifer water tables drop, our number one national climatological goal is maximizing oil company profits.

I suppose when the trophy wife of some Exxon/Mobil director has a perspiration-induced mascara meltdown on a Riviera beach, the situation will become serious enough to warrant a comprehensive and coordinated federal response. In the meantime, we're reassured by our president, vice president and our senior US senator that nothing's happening, everything's fine and we need to quit being so selfish and show some Christian compassion for our suffering millionaires and billionaires.

Besides, with all the gay marriage going on, Jesus is bound to come back soon to settle accounts, so why worry about the heat?

No comments: