Monday, December 24, 2007

The full moon

I noticed the moon is full or nearly so.

A few years ago, during one of those periods when I was doing rather more magical thinking than I do now, I sent someone a series of emails about the beauty and magic of the full moon. I was infatuated - not by the moon, but by her.

And when she didn't tell me to take a flying leap, I interpreted that as a sign I might win her over. Actually, she was being polite because she valued my friendship and couldn't figure out how to get me to stop without hurting my feelings. Eventually, because I couldn't take a hint, she had to just be blunt and tell me to stop.

That turned into a good exercise in non-attachment for me.

Sometimes I have to resist the temptation to email her – "Hey, I thought I'd just drop you a line after all these months to let you know how non-attached I am now."

But every time I see the full moon...

No comments: