Saturday, December 01, 2007

No More Mr. Nice Guy

I have always had a problem telling people to fuck off when it was clearly appropriate to tell them to fuck off. Sometimes I end up apologizing instead.

I think this is probably a leftover from childhood when I was obliged to cheerily accept whatever weird alcohol-fueled shit my parents happened to foist on me.

I don't want to even bother with 'power issues' in dealing with other people. I don't have any skill in that regard and usually don't even think about it during interactions. After the fact, when I've bent over backwards to help someone and been told what an asshole I am for having not done even more or having not done it some other way, I find myself asking why I let myself into these situations.

I'd rather just not deal with them at all. And nowadays, I have that choice.

No comments: