Thursday, December 13, 2007

The weather report

For those of you outside the metro and relying on national news coverage for ice storm info: a friend called the power company yesterday and was told it would probably be two weeks before the power is back on in her neighborhood.

They've opened up our big downtown sports arena to serve as public shelter.

What we're going through is a fraction of what New Orleans went through, but I hope it opens some eyes to the fragility of our own infrastructure.

Again, I'm incredibly grateful to be in a warm, comfortable place during all this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're braving it, I know. John is still without power.

BUT: You guys have, as far as we know in Europe, a grand "federal emergency".

Now we don't have these grand titles where I live, but I can assure you that they'd send everyone who's able to walk, including the army, out to repair those power lines where I live. And not just rely on a few companies who are thinking of their bottom line and how much it costs to send in extra people.

And no power for weeks in winter would topple a government over here.

You are indeed a very patient lot!

Brigitte