Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Nothing to Do, Nowhere to Go

You'd think I'd be able to sail through a book with a title like "Nothing to Do, Nowhere to Go," but in fact it's been pretty slow going.

This is a commentary by Thich Nhat Hanh on the teachings of Linji (also known as Rinzai), who was one of the great figures of early Ch'an (or Zen).

A Buddha is a person who has no more business to do and isn't looking for anything. In doing nothing, in simply stopping, we can live freely and true to ourselves and our liberation will contribute to the liberation of all beings.

My own experience tells me this is true. Even so, I find that I haven't reached the point of truly stopping – truly putting everything down.

On the other hand, I realize that before I had any understanding of Zen teachings, I was already farther along this path than most people ever care to go. I'd guess the reason I was so drawn to it is because by the time I reached mid-adolescence, I was already frustrated and worn out with trying to meet the expectations and standards of society. It's a lot easier to let go of the stuff if your grip on it was never very good to begin with.

Nonetheless, I find this book to be more difficult to digest than a lot of other things I've read.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does that mean? What does it mean to do nothing, stopping everything and just being?

I don't get it because to live on this planet with other people we have to do something. We don't have to live up to anyone's expectations but our own, and we don't have to be anything we are not, but we have to do something and be something. We can't be completely self-involved and self-centered because what's the point of living if that's the case?

I know, you say there is no point, but there is. The point is to love and share. The point is to leave a legacy of love. The point is to be a part of the big picture of making someone's life a little better by knowing they are loved by you. And the people who seem to deserve love the least, are the ones who need it the most.

Either I'm not getting what you're saying or what you're saying is bullshit. Or maybe we just don't agree on what is important and what matters.

To each his own. I love you no matter what, MCARP.

If I were there, you could do nothing while I sit on your lap and smother you with hugs. That way we both are following our guides.

mcarp said...

What I'm saying is there is no point. There is no point to love and share, just as there is no point to build pyramids, establish empires, accumulate wealth or win the Super Bowl.

That doesn't mean you and I aren't free to love and share, if that's our choice. It's just that we're not fulfilling any destiny by so doing.

Anonymous said...

But isn't everything we do a part of fulfilling our destiny? Isn't there really a point to everything?

If you and I share a love for each other or anyone else, isn't the point that we are sharing the same emotions, giving something of ourselves and receiving the same, the point?

If I give someone a hug, the point of that hug is to show that person how much I like them. I don't go around giving everyone hugs, just the people I care about and like.

If I win the lottery, the point of that would be to have enough money to take care of myself and share the rest with the people I love.

All of life is about loving, caring, sharing and believing that if we give these things then there is a point to living. If nothing means anything then why be here?

I think there are many points to many things. In fact, I'm trying to make a point now!

I swear to Pete, I'm going to move back to OKC and bug the hell out of you until you see my point just so I can hear you say, "Hey, I get your point. I understand now that things do matter."

Then I'm going to kiss your face off and make you go to the mall with me and hold my hand while we shop. I'm relentless, so just agree with me now and save yourself the grief.

Mindovermary

mcarp said...

Everything we do is part of fulfilling our destiny, but that's not the same as saying there's a point to it.

If I dive into a river, the current will carry me downstream. That's my destiny. But it doesn't mean I'm supposed to drift downstream - that's just what happens.

You asked the question, "If nothing means anything then why be here?"

I would answer with another question: "If nothing means anything then why not be here?"

Anonymous said...

Hey, when are you going to GET WITH THE PROGRAM and start having LOTS OF DESIRES? WANTS? CRAVINGS?

The world is building a wheel with YOUR name on it, Mr. Hamster, and it's your sacred duty to jump in there and start running just like the rest of us. Toward something. Anything.

Time to start getting FRANTIC, pal. FRANTIC!

Have I made my, uh, POINT?