Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Tao and I

(I originally wrote this on November 27, but saved it unpublished until now.)

I'm not going to say much about the Tao.

"Those who know but little speak the most," Lao-Tzu wrote. "The sage says little, if anything at all."

After I wrote the preceding three sentences, I wrote three more paragraphs, and was working my way toward four and five, and maybe six –– who knows? They were long paragraphs, too. I am still all too happy to share my limited knowledge when I ought to simply say nothing.

If you're interested in the Tao, a good place to start is The Taoist Classics translated by Thomas Cleary. It contains the Tao Te Ching as well as four other major works of Taoist philosophy. You can get it pretty much anywhere, I think. I bought my copy at Borders.

That's it. I'm not sayin' anything more. I'm on my way to sagehood, so I'm staying silent.

Nothing.

Not a peep.

Not from me, nossir. I got nothin' else to say.

No comments: