Friday, July 21, 2006

Identifying with depression

dzaster questions a few posts down why my posts about depression evoke more responses than my posts about other subjects.

I'm going to assay an answer to that, which may or may not be correct.

First of all, I seem to have a lot of people in my life these days who truly care about my well-being, both within the Neurosis Triangle (the geographic area whose three legs are terminated at the north and south ends of the Paseo, and the Red Cup) and within my online community headquartered out west. And that is something for which I am truly grateful.

Secondly... good god, aren't we all depressed? How could you not be depressed?

Our country's day-to-day affairs are being managed by someone who, when he is enrolled in the Ranks of the Great Statesmen, will fall somewhere between seventies-era county commissioners and those sheriff's deputies who are always being quoted about cattle mutilations.

("Wudn't no animal done that. That wuz done with surgical precision.")

In addition to that, it's hotter than hell out, at least here in the midwest.

Television sucks. When they promised us 500 channels, we figured they'd be able to jam pack pure shit onto only about 495 of them, so there might be five channels worth watching. Well, tastes vary, but I think we underestimated them.

We have more fighting in the mideast, and thousands if not millions of Americans who want to fan the flames of violence so it will more closely resemble the 'Left Behind' books.

Relationships are now controlled mostly by Madison Avenue, and are intended to be consumer exercises only. Abs! Abs! Abs! You'll die old and alone without them!

Cars suck. Fox News sucks. Windows XP sucks. Johnny Cash is dead. Some of us have leg cramps. Some of us have menstrual cramps.

Hell, yes we're depressed! Damn straight!

If I were enlightened, I suppose this stuff wouldn't get to me.

The Buddha is not in Nepal.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am always amazed, flabbergasted, fascinated, intrigued and flat blown away when I meet a REAL **HAPPY** person. They are s-t-r-a-n-g-e to me. They can't possibly be paying attention.

Anonymous said...

Oh, tish tosh.

Both of you, just get over yourselves.

Go to Jesus House or the Gaylord YWCA battered women's shelter and meet some people who have real problems that need your help.

Or, go to DHS for a list of families with children who have spina bifida. They could use a hand and you might start thinking of yourselves as damn lucky.

Where is it written in stone that you two highly educated and intelligent people can't lose a leg or sight to diabetes or develop lupus?

Fer christsake!

I'm happy because I'm damn lucky not to be watching my friends and family get blown up or executed by theocrats in the Mideast.

there is nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so (Shakespeare).

The world has always been fucked up. Whether you can be happy in the face of it is strictly a matter of attitude.

Just get laid every once in awhile, will you?

I take that back. If either one of you gets laid, you'll just start obsessing about your relationship and be back at square one.

Personally, I think it's funny to read you two whine.

Now, if you had MY problems, then you'd be justified being depressed.

blogblah!!!

Anonymous said...

Cramps alone, of all varieties, are enough to make me depressed.

Anonymous said...

Weed.

Smoke.

Ganja.

Herb.

Then, a nice comedy on DVD.

Repeat when neccesary.

Anonymous said...

I love Blogbah, this man has perspective...

While you have a facination with your own poop. You gaze at your navel & complain about the lint...

I read your stuff sometimes to see how much a person with a house & a job can whine.

I am very happy & I pay attention... to what I have & the troubles of others. I live a life of gratitude.

Go be of service to others & make your whiney life have some meaning. Otherwise you ARE a waste of space and should be very sad.

Anonymous said...

OK "anonymous" pain in the butt. I have had enought. Until you know the whole story, until you can walk in someone else's shoes, shut the fuck up! I know a troll when I see one.
Carp has never said a bad word about Anyone else and knowing him he never would. So if the blog bothers you, just quit reading it.