Sunday, July 09, 2006

Random Stuff redux

anonymous aka Blogblah! said: Thus, you will ALWAYS have an excuse to make yourself unhappy.

Well, I like to have that fallback.

They are only two of the 2,800 Americans who could pay an estate tax under current law.

I remember reading somewhere –– probably in a Kevin Phillips or Robert Reich book –– that the estate tax wasn't created because we needed the money. It was created to prevent the kind of huge hereditary fortunes that dominated European culture and politics.

90 billion would cover about 60 days of the war in Iraq.

anonymous number two said: The real problem is going to Target, or much much worse Wal Mart, on a Sunday morning. Don't do it! Put your hands up and walk away from creepy, depressing capitalism. Besides, you should be in church.


I was out of toothpaste. How else am I going to style my hair?

anonymous 3 said: There are tremendous social inequities in the American system that ought to be overcome, but probably won't before the whole thing implodes on itself and we must become accustomed to a very unfamiliar (for us) new social norm, that of packing iron and dodging others' bullets as we go about our daily bidness. Imagine present-day Baghdad.

I don't think we'll reach that point. I think we'll be like the present-day UK, with China or India taking over our current role.

"Luck," The Really Big Star said. "Don't bullshit yourself into thinking I'm any more talented or capable or determined than those guys. I'm just luckier."

And what do you do about THAT?


I don't think I have any right to ask other people to feel sorry for me if I'm not willing to show some initiative and feel sorry for myself first.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know that flossing is much better than brushing your teeth? Truly, forget the toothpaste and floss only. Pick up the biggest big-ass role of floss during the week when the flourescent lighting seems to be less depressing and don't worry about toothpaste anymore. Bonus: no more expensive toothbrushes and a water savings, too.

Anonymous said...

P.S. More horrible than Target....the CVS at N.W. 50th and Sheridan. I have NEVER been in a more lifeless place in my life. I call it "The Temple" as the outside facade looks somewhat like an Edmond church. The sign is fucking HUGE. Who approved that goddamn sign? Mike, don't EVER go in there, buddy. You are simply too nice and may be sucked permenantly into the abyss of over-priced toiletries.

Anonymous said...

I must disagree with Anonymous #2 RE: the CVS at 50th and (I assume he means) Shartel. My experience there was unusual, yes. But not painful, no matter what my friends think.

I remember walking inside...then I remember suddenly being outside, holding a bag filled to overflowing with boxes of Tuck's Pads and tubes of Preparation H. What happened inside the store, I can't say; I simply don't remember.

Some of my friends think I should go to one of those hypnotists, to get "regressed" so maybe I can remember what happened inside.

But I wasn't probed, I know that for sure. So why bother with the regression?

I mean, since I wasn't probed, or anything. By midgets. Dressed up like aliens.

Anonymous said...

Actually, $90 billion pays for 6 months of the Iraq war