Friday, July 21, 2006

New toys

They don't make CRTs like they used to. I use a dual display on my Mac here at home, and I've been through four of them in five years. And one of the two I'm using now is flaking out on me.

At work, I use two 17-inch Apple Studio Displays. They don't make those anymore. But mine, now five years old, still look like they did when new.

It's possible to do serious graphics on a single-monitor display –– I know professional graphics artists working entirely on laptops –– but a second monitor gives a user plenty of room for all the little 'child windows' programs like Photoshop, Painter and Dreamweaver use to manage tools.

I guess it was inevitable that I switch to LCD's at home. Today I ordered two 20" Apple Cinema Displays from PROMac Computers on Northwest Expressway. (Locally owned and, as their website points out, you don't have to hike across a shopping mall parking lot to get to the door.)

These are the entry level Apple monitors, and yet they will give almost three times as much desktop space as the 19" CRT's I'm using now.

Which should make it a lot easier for me to produce serious art.


No comments: