Sunday, July 23, 2006

Work

I spent some time this weekend working on a small pro bono project that closely resembles the same thing I do at work most days.

I have said this before: the job I have today is the best job I have ever had. But as I have also said before, there are evenings on which, thinking about the next day's tasks, I am filled with a sort of low-grade dread.

Why then, would I volunteer to take on the same kind of work in my free time that seems to touch me with discomfort the rest of the time?

I think part of it was knowing that this project had a beginning and an end, and when I was through with it, I was truly through with it. At work, I can finish an individual project, but there always other in the pipeline right behind it, and the total process can start to resemble an assembly line.

iTunes: Dulcet Rhythm, Riley Lee

No comments: