Saturday, July 08, 2006

Responses to comments

Patrizia: You don't answer comments, do you?


Often I respond with another comment, so it's down at the bottom of the list of comments for that post. I know some bloggers put responses in separate posts. I've done that a few times; maybe I should make it standard practice.

(btw: I have yet to figure out how post comments on Mallory's Camera. Do I have to have an account with your blog host?)

anonymous: you seem happy compared to me. Wonder why that is?
blogblah


I think that's a matter of perception. My perception is that you're usually much more engaged in the conversation than I am, and seem more upbeat than me.

But if I do seem happier than you, it may be the minivan, which gives that jaunty air of mindless suburban cheerfulness.

nina: In the movie, Travellers and Magicians the monk says, “Urban life is depressing.”


This is something I've been thinking about. Buddhism and Taoism both arose in times when their home countries were divided into small kingdoms. Fashions and politics changed, but technology remained constant for thousands of years. We got gunpowder (primarily for entertainment, since no one had invented a gun, yet) and block printing, but beyond that, technology consisted mainly of breeding stronger oxen. So, for the average Buddhist or Taoist or Chan/Zen practitioner, everyday life remained essentially unchanged for generation after generation.

What would Bodhidharma or Chuang-Tzu make of the Dallas mixmaster? Or any cable pundit show? I think they'd throw up their hands and walk off into the woods.

Urban life runs counter to millions of years of evolution. Natural selection pulled us toward small tribal communities (anthropologists and geneticists feel free to dispute this), but our own advanced intellect pulled us toward the gawdawful messes we have now.

anonymous (aka, I assume, JohnX):...but if you spontaneously combust, can I video it?


Sure, but I'm not expecting combustion. I think I'll just swell up, like I have a really bad case of gas, then keep swelling until I pop. There'll be innards all over the place, which I assume the cats will then eat.

And probably barf.

Soartstar: At least you're not normal.


I didn't need a test to find that out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well then, sounds like the monk is right. Within urban life depression is inevitable.

That’s depressing.

Anonymous said...

btw: I have yet to figure out how post comments on Mallory's Camera. Do I have to have an account with your blog host

No, you don't have to have an account. (An account is nice because then any replies that are made to your comments are emailed to you so you don't have to navigate back to the original posting. Assuming you're interested in reading responses.)

Just click on "Comment On This" on the lower right of the posting.