Friday, July 28, 2006

Random notes

I read on John's blog last evening (it is now early in the a.m.) about an electric sports car that does 0 to 60 in about 4 seconds.

A few moments later, I checked an email from a friend about a Hawaiian therapy technique called Ho'oponopono. The email had been forwarded many times, and had some of the earmarks of an urban myth. Generally, when I get an email of that sort, I Google the subject matter to see if there's any more info on it.

In this case, though, the original text is genuine, and I found it here.

So, I clicked on that blog's home page, and found this link.

Synchronicity.




I have been more-or-less off my small social circle all month. I have spent more time in the confines of my own home, drawing, reading, doing laundry and other chores, getting reacquainted with the creatures with whom I share my home.

(Something we take for granted, and yet it continues to amaze me -- that a dog or a cat would rather spend more time hanging out in the company of a different species than with other dogs or cats. Cats vary on this, of course, but my grouchiest, touchiest cat is also the one that sticks closest to me.)

Before I started frequenting the Red Cup a year or so ago, I spent about 29 out of 30 evenings alone, either at home or maybe at a movie. Then I swung to the point where I was out 5 out of 7 nights a week (although still leading a fairly docile life; sitting on a patio drinking iced tea is still a little more low-key than a weekly parasailing group or tae kwan do lessons).

The change has been remarkable, but also somewhat destabilizing. There is nothing inherently wrong with either lifestyle, but shifting from one to the other is bound to create some stress, and I think I overdid it a little. So now I'm taking a little of what my therapist used to call 'turtle time' to let the slower-adapting parts of me catch up with the rest.




These new monitors are wonderful. When I was installing them, I briefly had one new one and one old one on, and I could see first hand how dim and fuzzy the old one was. Fifteen years ago, the NEC Multi-sync was the gold standard of CRTs, and priced accordingly. But now they're pretty run of the mill, in my experience, even for CRTs.

If you're still a CRT user, I'm a huge fan of Viewsonics. Built to last. Of the half-dozen CRTs I've been through over the past several years, the only two still functioning at all are two Viewsonics. One is about eight years old now, and it's a pretty low-res monitor, but it still works.




iTunes: Sagartha, Ishikawa Toshimitsu

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

being a turtle may be great for you, but it sucks for me! You had best get your turtle self over for a little socializing this weekend or I will be forced to make a driveby!
Miss ya

Anonymous said...

Hermits have always been misunderstood - that is crosscultural. However! There are still loners in every society so they must serve some purpose. The Internet is making more loners and therefore people are going to have to adjust. When very social people give me crap about isolating I wonder what is going on with them that they have to have constant stimulation. I believe it is a way they can avoid FEELING. I don't blame them, but I'd rather be in my cave then "out there" forcing myself to be socially acceptable. To thine own self be true.

Anonymous said...

I understand "alone time". We all need it. I may be THE most social person who comes to this site, but I need my time with the cat and no one else. (I also like time with Kat, but that's another story.)

However, at some point there's a critical difference between alone time and isolating.

The latter is not so good.

One of the reasons for isolation being less advantageous than alone time is the excessive narcissism that can flow from isolation. The inside of my skull is a frightening place at times and since my thinking can be a degree or two off true, as I isolate and my thoughts go farther and farther out towards infinity, I get farther and farther from true.

Yes, being in groups and being social can have the effect of hiding our feelings from ourselves.

Being in groups has other salutory features, however. For example, you can get some feedback on your thinking and find out how far away from reality you've gone during your alone time. For another example, you can get solutions from others who have faced similar problems. For another example, for the problems that are chronic, you can find solace and support.

I find it revealing that anonymous would say that the downside of social mixing is that Anon would be "forcing myself to be socially acceptable." Hey, Anon! Stop forcing yourself and forget about being socially acceptable. How about you just relax and be yourself? You might very well be socially acceptable to my very tolerant group of 3:40 a.m. fans/friends. After all, they put up with McArp and me, how much worse can YOU be?

The irony there is that the next sentence Anon writes is the axiom "To thine own self be true". Who's being true to themselves if they are "forcing myself to be socially acceptable"?

Cognitive dissonance, anyone? Anyone?

Fuhgettaboutit.

Blogblah!!!

Anonymous said...

I like being alone, but being alone with midgets is VERY frightening.

Also, contradictory.

Anyhow, try to avoid it if at all possible.

mcarp said...

Or you could think you're alone, when in fact you're surrounded by midgets, and you just haven't looked down yet.

Anonymous said...

I met Dr Len at a Ho ‘oponopono workshop last November, it was an awesome experience!!!

He even ended up endorsing my book!

Book: The Titus Concept Money For My Best and Highest Good
Website: www.theonlyoption.net
Seminar: SOAR 2006 The Titus Concept Live Event
Google: Al Diaz