Monday, July 03, 2006

Independence Day Eve

July 3rd. It's Monday, which is a 'quiet day' for me even when it's not the day before a holiday.

I could be sitting right now, or doing some housecleaning, or working in the yard before darkness falls. But here I am at the computer.

I went to Homeland tonight to pick up groceries and some cash for tomorrow. I forgot to get cat food. Tonight, I put some Life cereal out for them. I eat it dry out of the box all the time –– if Mikey likes it, maybe the cats will, too.

Satori started nibbling on it right away, but the other cats seem unimpressed.

I think I failed to mention I have a new vacuum cleaner, chosen for me over the weekend by RJ, who is Kat's mom. I have had vacuum cleaners in the past, and I eventually gave up on them because they're loud, obnoxious, have long power cords that have to be recoiled, accessories that fall off and get lost, they scare the cats, etc., etc. But I am determined to de-squalor the house, and Kat and RJ believe a vacuum cleaner will help. So I yield to their better-informed opinion in this matter.

When the house is totally back in order, I'll have a garage sale consisting entirely of orphaned vacuum cleaner attachments that have turned up during the cleaning.

Here's a question: does the house look like hell because I am non-attached to neatness, or because I am attached to lying around on my butt? Or just attached to my butt, upon which I happen to lie around?

Round round, lie around, I lie around
Yeah
Lie around lie around, I lie around
Lie around round round I lie around
I lie around
Lie around round round I lie around
I'm lyin' down
Lie around round round I lie around
I get a bad rap
Lie around round round I lie around
Cause my house looks like crap.

I've been following Nina's Flibbertigibbet! blog about her search for what's-his-name. Even when I was sure I was possessed of vast measures of useful advice –– a belief about which I now have contradicting enlightenment –– I never tried to tell people about relationships.

Well, actually, I did. But I was full of shit. Getting relationship advice from me is like getting popularity tips from Dick Cheney.

Personally, I'd be scared to put my face on one of those 'Am I hot or not?' web sites. I don't think there's that much 'not' available on the Internet.

I wonder if there's a "Am I depressed or not?" web site. Soartstar thinks I'm depressed. I say that it's possible to hope a meteor hits your house and vaporizes you instantly and painlessly in your sleep without letting it turn into depression.

iTunes: Midare (Disorder), Aiko Hasegawa, followed by Voice of the Moon, Anoushka Shankar

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, mcarp...

were you at Red Cup Sunday morning? I was there and thught I maybe saw you in line, but since I'm a few steps from needing a seeing-eye dog, I didn't want to come up and find out I was accosting some stranger. Again.

Anonymous said...

Wearing a good hat may be the answer. (I think there was a Monty Python movie along those lines??) I like red wigs but they freaked out all my freinds so I had to give them up. Too bad, because when I put on a red wig I couldn't help but be in a good mood. I felt my friends were incredibly selfish that they didn't go along with it. Who gives a flip if I looked stupid...I FELT happy. Wigs are cool. I think more people should wear them. Not toupees. Toupees are desperate.

Anonymous said...

When I was REALLY depressed my house was certifiably dirty. WE had 2 jobs, 2 children and no time. But it was the depression that kept house and it did not do a good job. Now, I am only sort of depressed and the house is better..not great, but better. I think there is a correlation here. Yes, the VC will help...it is a tool, not a creature from the deep!!!

mcarp said...

chase: I was at the Red Cup Sunday morning. I'm there most Sat and Sun mornings... and it's okay to come up and accost a stranger. I have a wealth of friends, including most of the people who post on the blog, whom I acquired by first accosting some strangers at the Red Cup.

dzaster: Maybe I should skip the hats and get a wig or two. As for toupees, there are actually some good ones out there. You only notice the bad ones. I learned that while working on my five-part exclusive in-depth investigative report on toupees.

That is not entirely a joke.

RJ: Yes, the vacuum cleaner is a tool. A noisy, clumsy, obnoxious tool. I hate them.

A vile necessity, I suppose.